Custom Search

Friday, January 4, 2008

Mister Runs Batted In Lou Gehrig

The production company called Lou Gehrig was a thriving business in the late 1920's and throughout the 1930's. No man had more of impact for me of driving home runs than Lou. Production is what Lou was all about. He had seven years where his business surpassed 150 RBIs in that year. A record for most times knocking in 150 or more runs in a year. And his RBIs per game is still the highest percentage in major league history at .921. From 1930 to 1934 he knocked in 813 runs. Averaging 162 RBIs per season Lou averaged more than one run batted in per game, during this time of. An outstanding pace.

Whenever I look at Lou Gehrig’s statistics I find something new about the man. Like the number of triples he hit. Or all the runs he scored. Thirteen consecutive years scoring at least 100 runs to go along with the same 13 consecutive years of driving in at least 100 runs. Eight years accumulating at least 200 hits. All these statistics and a lifetime batting average of 340 to boot. He is also 3rd in slugging per cent age and 3rd in on base and slugging per cent age (OPS) all time. These numbers represent career figures.

Lou Gehrig more than any other player I have studied has been the epitome of class, success and production. When I think of RBIs I always think of Columbia Lou. When I think of a great teammate or a champion my mind consistently recalls his name.

Being a Yankee fan as I was growing up, anything connected with the Yanks caught my eye. When I saw "Pride of The Yankees," with Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright I found another hero. Gary Cooper’s portrayal of Lou Gehrig was that of a strong, focused and quiet man. I related I was very quiet as a kid. His success made me feel good. I was so proud that I liked the Yankees because Lou Gehrig was a part of my team. You did not get any better than Lou.

Lou Gehrig has been an inspiration for me. I look at what he has accomplished in his baseball life. I am amazed. I have seen film of Lou batting without a shirt on. As his muscles rip as he swings the bat I am reminded of his awesome power and strength.

As much as Lou is admired, I wonder if he would have been more of an icon had he not played in the shadow of Babe Ruth.

Feel free to pass this article on to baseball enthusiasts that you know.

Article Source: http://www.thearticlezone.com

The grand game of baseball. What could be better? Join Aron as he gazes at the old sport from a variety of angles. Loving the game of baseball for Aron Wallad has been a playful way of life for a long time. For over 45 years he has followed the game by coaching, watching games, reading stories and checking player's stats. He has played baseball, softball and stickball. You will find his short stories awakening and inspiring. You will be amazed when you see some of the unusual statistics he offers. The quotes will impress you or make you laugh. He wishes everyone loved baseball. Go here right now to join his ezine, and have some fun www.baseballsprideandjoy.com Or to check out some Rawlings Baseball Equipment go here baseballsprideandjoy.com/rawlingsbaseballequipment.htmwatching games, reading stories and checking player’s stats. You will find his stories moving. You will be amazed when you see some of the unusual statistics he presents. The quotes will move you or make you laugh. Go here right now to join his ezine, have some fun www.baseballsprideandjoy.com Or to check out some Rawlings Baseball Equipment go here baseballsprideandjoy.com/rawlingsbaseballequipment.ht

Lou Gehrig

A biography of the Iron Horse who played in 2,130 consecutive games

Lou Gehrig

0 comments: