Custom Search

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Adventurous Sports

Some might say I'm not very brave. I don't like heights, fast speeds or defying gravity. Keeping my feet on the ground is fine for me.. The only vaguely exciting activity I have ever done is skiing, which I loved. Adventure sports are just not for me but I wish I could get over my inhibitions and go for it.

If I was braver, the first thing I would want to do is skydiving. That must be an incredible feeling, up so high and free as a bird. Some people freefall down into caves and their parachutes open just as it's getting dark and you think they are doomed. Rock climbing also looks exhilarating, although I wouldn't want to climb those mountain peaks like K2. Mountain climbing in Force 10 winds and frostbite eating at your toes doesn't really appeal. I'm also far too claustrophobic for pot holing and the thought of cave diving fills me with dread.

Beach resorts all over the world are geared up for every sort of water adventure sports. I do feel lazy, lying there whilst everyone else is jet skiing, para sailing, windsurfing and otherwise whizzing around. The most activity I indulge in on a beach is a hearty game of volleyball. I may fling a Frisbee from time to time. I think about doing something but then it's so nice to soak up the sunshine and there's all that food and drink to consume.

My fear of heights precludes me from hang gliding or a trip in a hot air balloon. Traveling in a wicker basket under a flammable, gas filled balloon is not my idea of a relaxing time. I'm sure it's thrilling but I would be on constant lookout for electricity pylons, not to mention a sudden drop in pressure to send me plunging back to earth. Adventure sports like that are made for plucky, optimistic people with good insurance policies.

I am waiting for the day when someone invents a hologram suite, like the ones in the Star Trek shows. These are computerized virtual realities, in which you can ski down a mountainside at breakneck speed and come to no harm. That's because the mountain isn't really there. Nothing is real but it feels just like reality. In other words, it's all the thrills without the spills. I could do any adventure sports I wanted then and maybe even invent a few new ones. Until that time, I'll watch others do their hot dog tricks and bungee jump from skyscrapers. Does driving into the city and back count as adventure sports these days?

0 comments: